Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tomato Basil Orzo Salad

I'm a little behind with my promise to post some recipes, but here is finally one in time for the tomato and basil harvest from your garden. I have some small roma tomatoes that I used and cut into thirds (the plant was labeled Roma, but they are more like small Pear tomatoes). When I came back from being gone for 3 weeks my basil plant had tripled in size, so I used the greater amount of basil since I had so much available right from my garden.


Tomato Basil Orzo Salad

2 ounces orzo pasta
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
3 Tablespoons thinly sliced chives or green onions
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup light balsamic dressing

Cook
the orzo in the chicken broth until tender according to package directions. Drain well but do not rinse. Let the pasta cool to room temperature, tossing often so it doesn't stick together.

Meanwhile, place tomatoes and green onions in a small bowl. Add salad dressing and allow to marinate for an hour or more, gently tossing every 15 minutes or so (not absolutely necessary but it gives the tomatoes a nice flavor).

When ready to serve, add the orzo and chopped basil to the tomato mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve at room temperature, topping each serving with half the feta cheese.

Serves 2 (but can easily be doubled)
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...