Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Taco Tuesday: Chorizo Potato Tacos

Some of you may know that I like cooking (and eating) about as much as I like scrapbooking. It's a debate over which is my favorite. I have contemplated starting a food blog for a while now but have been a little intimidated by the process and all the great food bloggers out there. So, for now, I'll just share some recipes here. Taco Tuesday seemed like a good place to start.

I love tacos and I love chorizo so when I saw this recipe in the May issue of Cooking Light, I knew I had to try it. With modifications, of course. I almost always modify a recipe when I make it.
Chorizo Potato Tacos
2 Poblano Chiles
1 russet baking potato, diced
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup fresh corn kernels (2 ears corn)
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
2 tsp. cumin
5 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces mexican raw chorizo, casings removed
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 ounces manchego cheese, about 1/2 cup

Cut poblanos in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Coarsely chop.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potato; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove potato; place in large bowl. Add poblano to pan; cook 2 minutes. Add onion to pan and cook an additional 3 minutes, then add corn, red pepper, cumin, and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion mixture to potato. Add chorizo to pan; cook 1-1/2 minutes, stirring to crumble. Return potato mixture to pan. Stir in broth and salt; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until potato is tender, chorizo is done, and liquid almost evaporates.

Working with 1 tortilla at a time, heat tortillas over medium-high heat directly on a gas burner for about 15 seconds on each side or until slightly charred. Or heat a cast iron skillet and place tortillas in skillet until warm and slightly crunchy, turning every minute or two. 

Place about 1/3 cup chorizo mixture in the center of each tortilla; top with 1 Tbl. cheese.

Adapted from Cooking Light, May 2013

1 comment:

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

This is my kind of meal! Thanks so much for sharing at last week's All my Bloggy Friends - Linda and I look forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...